Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Dinner for pennies!

As I mentioned, I am trying to eat sensibly for less... Cents-ibly, if you will. HA!


Pair this with a nice big salad or side of veggies, and you're set...


What is it, you may ask? Chicken and rice with broccoli! So simple and so flavorful.

1 packet chicken flavored rice (I used the walmart brand for $0.88)

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced (package of 6 breasts for $8, so $2.67 for the chicken)

Broccoli (optional... I had it in the fridge & needed to use it. I used about 1/4 crown, which cost me probably $0.25)

Marinade (optional... I've had this in the cupboard for months & wanted to use it... I used Lawry's garlic herb marinade, and it added amazing flavor... the rice is tasty on it's own though, so you could skip this if you wanted. I believe I bought this for about $1.50)

Divide all this by 6 servings, and it's only $0.99 per serving! Definately tasty, and you can freeze leftovers in individual containers, which is helpful when you live alone and cook for one!

What are some of your favorite meals to make that help you get the most out of your grocery money?? Are there any meals you make especially to have lots of leftovers? Share!

2 comments:

Twix said...

This might make some laugh. We have tomato sandwhiches. Bread, mayo or dressing and tomatoes; that's it. Of recent we have been boiling eggs and eating lots of canned soup and grilled cheese. The grilled cheese has been a splurge. Cheese has become so expensive, to expensive. Even peanut butter isn't cheap and I feel so guilty feeding them all those trans fats but the good stuff is to much to afford. Peanut butter on grahams. when a box of grahams is cheaper than a large loaf of bread, use grahams. This weekend I will be using powdered milk. I suppose you could say I am burnt out on trying to make ends meet. Where did all teh cheap food go, lol. ;)

Anonymous said...

I eat much more produce than you do, it's the bulk of my diet. This is my go to lunch on the go...

one summer squash,
one zucchini,
a couple of tomatoes,
brown rice.
I always have brown rice ready and waiting in the fridge. I love to take a squash and zucchini and brown them up in a pan. Add a couple of finely chopped tomatoes and a bit of brown rice. Even works with a can of diced tomato! I eat this several times a week... it's so yummy!