Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hi friends

I haven't written in awhile. This is neither a good or bad thing. I've been skating along business as usual. Last Friday my weight was the same as the week before, so maintaining is better than gaining. I've been doing exceptionally well with the limited eating out. Way to go Teale!

It's incredibly hard to eat healthy on a budget, I've found. But, it can be done if you take the time to figure out how to do it! I've started reading some money-saving blogs online. They give tips on ways to save money, as well as sites for coupons, free stuff, etc. Money Saving Mom and BeCentsible are a couple faves, for those interested. I also check out my sunday paper for coupons, as well as smartsource.com among some others. What I've started doing is shopping the grocery ads on Sunday to see what's on sale, then making my meals that week around the sales. Additionally, I'll see if I've got any coupons for those items, or I'll go to the brand's website to see if there are any posted on there. I also subscribe to places like kraftfoods.com and things like that to get coupons sent to my email!

It also helps when you have an uncle with a veggie garden who gives you broccoli, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and corn for free!

This blog started out as a place where I posted my meals and recipes and stuff, and it strayed from there awhile ago. I'd really like to get back into the habit of posting things like that again. I especially feel so accomplished when I successfully transform a really fatty, calorie-filled recipe into something low in fat and calories, but that tastes just as good.

So, suggestion time...

What are some meals that you love but that you avoid because they don't fit into your "plan" whatever it may be?

If any of you like to cook, what are some of your favorites? Share!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something I really have been wanting is chinese food. I would love to have a recipe for WW friendly chinese.

Trisaratops said...

Hello friend! I haven't been posting very regularly either. I have gained and lost my will, but it is coming back, slowly. It has to. Congrats on maintaining, and keeping your changes in your life - that's the hardest part, I think. I made a salad the other night, and it was so good. Cut the kernels off 2 ears of corn, add a couple diced tomatos, diced red onion, cilantro, and then toss it with lime juice, oil and salt. So good! And cheap from your uncle's garden.

Lyn said...

Good to see you back! I love to cook, too. I like to make sloppy joes with ground turkey and pinto beans. Spaghetti (whole grain) with tons of veggies, TONS! and light sauce. I make stroganoff with ground turkey and nonfat or low fat ingredients. Lasagna with sliced zucchini in place of noodles.

I'll look forward to seeing what you are cooking and eating. Always nice to get some new inspiration!

Heather said...

glad to get a post (for some reason my reader password doesnt work on bloop so I have had no clue what you have been up to)! glad to hear you are maintaining. I hear you on the money thing..it definitely is more expensive to always be buying fresh produce, so its a tradeoff but one that is worth that extra $$$. and Id say the only thing that I would like to eat that I dont is pizza. everything else I make and fit into my plans for meals.

Twix said...

Glad to hear you're doing ok!

Umm, meals. Well I'm having atough time this week. I have a no bread at dinner thing going on and it means pasta, bread, etc. So I would like beside baked chicken and veggies or salad; what are some good suggestions that are entertaining to the taste buds that aren't expensive to make and will satisfy? :D

Anonymous said...

Pizza for under 200 calories...
One wheat pita halved lengthwise
about 2 tablespoons FF cottage cheese
about 2 tablespoons tomato paste
one roma tomato very thinly sliced
veggies (i like mushrooms here)
some FF mozz
So, layer this just as listed. The cottage cheese is strictly there for the "goo" factor. I like to actually use my fingers to sprinkle it around. After the paste put your 'matos and then season with basil, oregano, red pepper... whatever you like. With the FF cheese I like to put it on a plate then run my pizza cutter over it until its in tiny pieces. This helps it to melt. Mushrooms are a super tasty addition to this pizza.
Stick it in the oven at 425ish unitil its crunchy.
YUM.