Sunday, March 7, 2010

Garden Style Ravioli

What's this? An actual MEAL on Teale's Meals? Why yes it is!!! I tried a new recipe from a new cookbook tonight, and it was quite tasty! This is Garden Style Ravioli, found in the Better Homes & Gardens' "Our Best Diabetic Living Recipes" Here's a cell-phone quality pic of the meal from the cookbook:
9 oz. frozen/refrigerated cheese ravioli
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium red/green/yellow/etc peppers, cut into chunks (I only used half of each pepper though & it was plenty!)
1 medium carrot, cut into long, thin strips (use a potato peeler)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup chicken broth (I decided to use 1/2 a cup though to make it more moist)
Italian Seasonings... they reccomend Tarragon or Basil. I used 1.5 tsp "italian blend" seasonings

1. Cook ravioli according to package directions & drain.

2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add peppers, onions, garlic, and carrots & cook for about 5 minutes, til tender. Stir in tomato, broth, and seasonings and cook about 2 minutes more, until flavors blend.

3. Add veggie mixture to cooked ravioli & toss gently to combine. Makes 4 (1-cup) servings.

Since we were having this as our main dish, we had 2 (2-cup) servings. The following nutrition info is for the 1 cup servings:
Calories: 278
Fat: 9g
Carbs: 39g
Fiber: 2g
Protein: 13g

What a tasty dinner! I also added a sprinkle of grated parmesan on top. We'd definately have this one again.


2 comments:

Erin @Days to Remember said...

Holy delicious, Batman! I'd love it if you keep posting some of these diabetes-friendly recipes, if only for the insulin awareness that my recent readings have instilled in me. :)

Jennifer said...

WOW. That looks SOOO good!! and I have to tell you - I like your picture better. lol I feel like it looks more "real" and it just looks more tasty for some reason, lol.

I think I'm going to have to add this one to my menu.