Monday, October 18, 2010

Shrimp Florentine

I didn't have an exact plan for dinner this evening, but I knew it was going to involve pasta and shrimp.  I gathered up what I had in the house to concoct some deliciousness, and it turned out great!  (I would have a picture, but the uploader on blogger is being insanely slow for me... so you can find a picture on my 365 project site here: http://365project.org/tealeth922/365/2010-10

I call this entree Shrimp Florentine.  I'm not really sure what constitutes something as "florentine" but it sounded good, and tasted good... here's what I used:

1 onion, diced
5 large fresh mushrooms, diced
1 hand-full (maybe 1 cup?) spinach, chopped
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1 cup large pre-cooked shrimp, tails removed (it was about 20 shrimp)
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp flour
2 c. skim milk
1/4 c. parmesan
1/2 box angel hair pasta, cooked
salt/pepper to taste

1.  Add olive oil, veggies, and 1 tbsp garlic to a skillet and sautee until all veggies are cooked through.  Remove from pan & set aside.
2.  Melt butter and add 1 tbsp garlic to pan.  Warm shrimp through (or cook through if you don't use pre-cooked shrimp!) then remove & set aside with cooked veggies.
3.  Add flour to butter that remains in the pan to make a rue.  Slowly add milk to the rue while whisking to ensure all lumps are gone. 
4.  Cook on medium-high heat until sauce begins to bubble and thicken.  Cook about 3 minutes while stirring constantly & allowing the sauce to continue to thicken a bit.  Add parmesan to sauce, then add in veggies and shrimp.
5.  Serve over angel hair pasta--4 servings.

It was SO good!  Eddie said he'd have it again and was really happy with how tasty my improvised recipe was!  Definately a recipe to try (and remember, see my 365 project site to see what it looked like!)

4 comments:

Emily said...

I think something is considered florentine when there is spinach involved?? Not sure exactly why. Keep up the good work!

Kim said...

It sounds so good!!! I am going to try it!!! YUM!!! Thanks for the recipe and the idea!! Keep it up!!!

Laura said...

Sounds delicious!

River said...

So I may not be as talented as you are in the kitchen but I've an award for you on my blog come and get it!