Monday, February 7, 2011

Highs & Lows

This week was a rollercoaster, health/fitness-wise.

Let's get the Lows out of the way first... I like to end on a high note.

1.  I ate crap this weekend.  Not ALL weekend, but portions of the weekend.  No idea why, other than just boredom/laziness.  I have a plan though--my plan is that I need a plan!  No, seriously.  I'm going to start a weekly meal plan/workout plan list so that I don't lose focus during the weekends.  It's so easy to just be lazy (I didn't get dressed at all Sunday, no joke) and get off track when I don't have a structured day. 

2.  I didn't get Day 3 of C25K in during the first week.  Our weather here was crappy, and I am an outdoor runner, rather than a treadmill runner, and I didn't get the third day in. 

3.  Also, I had to stop once during day 2.  I paused my podcast and picked up where I left off, but I needed a 20-30 second break to get my breath--trying to focus on my breathing, in thru nose, out thru mouth, but sometimes I forget.

4.  I'm thinking that realistically, I'm not going to be able to run a 5K by April 29--not the whole thing, anyway.  I realize the C25K program is designed to work up from nothing, but week one is a challenge for all 300+ pounds of me... We'll see, I just gotta keep at it.

OK, now that that's out of the way, let's evaluate the highs from the week, shall we?

1.  I RAN ON THE TREADMILL.  Don't get me wrong, it certainly wasn't a "fast" run... in fact, some people could probably walk the pace I jogged (3.2), but it was a huge huge huge accomplishment to overcome my fear of not only running publicly, but also to do it on the treadmill.  I wasn't sure if I'd actually do it, I was so scared/terrified, I actually wanted to cry, but I bucked up and I did it.  I did NOT enjoy it, in fact, I think I held my body so tense the whole time that I ached the next day because of the tension, not the actual exercise!  But, I did it.  Will I do it again?  Maybe, but certainly not as my first choice.

2.  I lost weight this week!  I was worried about my progress this past week because of being sick, plus being on meds (steroids included) that can tend to make you hold on to weight.  However, I was amazingly surprised/shocked on Thursday to see that I had in fact lost.  A whopping 9.2 pounds!  I was so floored in fact, that I insisted I get off the scale & get back on it to verify its number!  That means that I am at a weight I haven't seen in a very long time, and also one that puts me only 4 pounds away from using our home scale (I've been over the weight limit for quite some time)

3.  In addition to losing a large chunk of weight this week, I reached/exceeded my 5% WW goal!  I was so happy to FINALLY reach that!  I had been flirting with the same 10-15 pound loss/gain for like 6 months, then this past month I've finally committed to things again & I surpassed that 10-15 pound mark & I'm at 22.8 pounds lost in 2011!

4.  I was also the biggest loser at WW this week!  Eddie had claimed that title for several weeks running (damn men and their fast weight loss!), but this week I earned it!  (He did have a substantial 4+ pound loss this week too though!)  It felt good to do so well!

5.  I actually noticed weight loss in my face in the last week.  Usually I don't notice a difference in myself when I lose weight, until it's been a drastic amount.  However, last week I looked in the mirror after getting ready for work & I thought "you know, your face looks thinner!"  So I snapped this picture:
For comparison, this was me back in October with our baby niece:

Surely the difference isn't just in my head.  LOL. 

So yeah, highs and lows... they're always gonna be there, I just gotta hope that the good outweighs the bad in the long-run!

6 comments:

Twix said...

You have lost in your face! :)

I'm proud of you for giving it a try and running on the treadmill. The feeling is different. High FIVE!!!!!

Christina said...

I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I read how much you lost this week. Way to go!! You (and Eddie too) are on a roll.

Unknown said...

Teale you look amazing!! There is a big difference in the two pictures. I'm proud of you! I was telling my husband today that you inspire me. That if you can change your eating habits and run, then I can to. The eating thing isn't what I'm worried about. It's the running. I dread the day that I start running. Ugh! lol
But Teale, if you can do it, then I can too! Thanks for post!

Meg O. said...

Teale! That's AWESOME!! I am so proud of you and you are giving me so much motivation right now! I totally love yoga and I highly recommend it for balance and flexibility - it'll definitely help with all the running you're doing. 9.2 pounds is amazing!! You can do it, girl!!!!

Meg O. said...

AND! OMG... I can totally tell the difference in your face! That's awesome!!

Sarah said...

Definitely not in your head! Your face is thinner. Good work on the C25K!

And I love the shower curtain and blue wall in your bathroom. I have always loved this combination, but it has taken a little convincing to get my hubby to like it. He's coming around.