Monday, January 12, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup

Last week I bought some sale veggies at the store & I had some leftovers that I didn't want to go to waste. I had carrots, onions, and celery. And I also had some chicken in the freezer.... so put these things together, add some chicken stock, seasonings, and noodles... and you've got a great soup for a cold winter day.

Chicken Noodle Soup
2 large chicken breasts, boiled then diced
1/2 box cooked bowtie pasta (or pasta of your choice)
8 cups chicken stock/broth (this is an estimation... add more if you want it soupy, less if you want it chunky!)
3 small yellow onions (the equivalent of 1 large onion)
about 30 baby carrots (or probably 3-4 full sized ones)
4 stalks celery
2 tbsp chicken flavoring (or boullion cubes)
garlic, salt, pepper to taste

Add stock, seasonings, and diced veggies to a large pot & bring to boil. Cook for 1 hour, til veggies are to desired tenderness. Meanwhile, boil your chicken in a separate pan. Dice, then add to soup. Finally, cook pasta & add to soup right before serving (you don't want your pasta to get mushy).

This is so delicious and so easy! I plan to freeze leftovers in individual portions so I've got soup on the go for a quick lunch! See for yourself how tasty this looks:

2 comments:

You'd be so pretty if... said...

Such a good idea for cold weather too!

Sean said...

you have officially given me an idea for my "learn how to cook 1 new meal" goal for 2009. I'm totally going to try this :)