I was catching up with some of my regular reads, and Krissie had a great post today. She wrote about negative self-talk that a LOT of us tend to partake in. She said that if she had a friend that said some of the things to her that she says to herself about herself, that friend would no longer be a friend. And she's right! Why do we talk horribly to ourselves sometimes? Thinking "I'll never meet my goal" or "I'm too fat to do that" or "they were looking at me because I'm fat, I must look disgusting". So, she declared that we should all make an "I Love Me" list. Fill this out about yourself & refer back to it when you're feeling down. No backhanded compliments about yourself either... which means don't say "I love my eyes because it distracts people from my big ass" :)
So, here's my list!
The "I LOVE ME" List
1. What do you absolutely love about your body? I really like my hourglass figure. Now that I've lost some weight, it is back hardcore, and sometimes when I catch a glimpse of myself in a window or something, I'm really surprised at how nice it looks.
2. When did you surprise yourself with your physical strength? Every time I work out. When I start my workout on the elliptical, after 5 minutes I'm ready to quit. I think "goodness sakes, how on earth did I ever do this 30 minutes?!" But, it never fails that I am able to push on & meet that 30 minute goal. I even got 45 minutes once!
3. When were you braver than you ever thought you could be? When my dad passed away in high school. I had just returned home from a school trip (he had passed away 2 days before I got back), and they asked if I wanted to come to the funeral home with them to make arrangements. And to view the body. I was terrified of seeing my dad. I thought if I didn't go, it wouldn't be real & would be easier. The morning they were going, I told them I wanted to sleep in, that I wasn't going to go. I laid in bed a few more minutes though, and I knew I had to go, so I got dressed & joined them. It was hard, but I needed to do it.
4. When did your self-control blow you away? The week after I joined WW I went to visit a friend at my old college campus. She and I always go out to eat & get ice cream when we get together. We went to Carlos O'Kelly's (delicious mexican), and I turned to the "healthy choices" portion of the menu & ordered from there. Usually I would get the enchiladas filled with cheese & creamy sauce... but this time I got enchiladas with spinach & mushrooms with pico. I didn't even miss that other stuff. When we went to get ice cream at Coldstone (also delicious, but most of it is SO not WW friendly), I declined my usual (20 point) selection and chose the Sinless Sweet Cream with sprinkles. It was tasty and felt SO good to stay in control & on plan!
5. What is your proudest moment ever? Up until now, it's been my college graduation. I have a feeling that on March 22nd my answer will change. (That's my wedding day)
6. When was the last time you felt absolutely beautiful? Last month at my dress fitting. I had to get a new dress because mine had outgrown me! To see it all put together with shoes, veil, etc. It was great.
7. Why do you deserve to meet your goals? Because I give myself to others without thinking a thing about it, but I don't do enough for myself, and now is the time!