Monday, October 1, 2007

Dr. Phil

I know some of you on here really swear by Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight-Loss Solution book. I just started it today, and it's spoken to me all ready. I wanted to share a blurb with you all:

Stop telling yourself that you absolutely "have to" lose weight, because that's a lie. You don't "have to" lose weight. You may want to, you may even need to, but you don't have to. It would be nice if you did, but it isn't something you must do. That's just what you have been telling yourself because you thought it would motivate you. Lying to yourself like this won't help you; trust me. You have to breathe--no choice there--but you don't have to lose weight. So instead of all that drama and self-recrimination, I want you to choose to feel very calm and very relaxed. Get up each morning, look at yourself in the mirror, and see yourself not as someone who is overweight or out of shape, but as the someone you will become, a person with a greater level of dignity and worth who, for probably the first time ever, is finally going to succeed--for a lifetime.

For those of you that have read it, have you written in it in your blog? Refer me to those entries, please, I'm interested in reading more about this book!

4 comments:

Heather said...

that is very powerful. I should check out that book.

Grumpy Chair said...

I never bought that book, but I did buy his diet/calories book which had the meal plans in it.

I follow his idea of eating lots of fiber throughout the day and keeping the dinner meal low carb. I also eat more calories too (1300 to 1400).

Angela Power said...

I've read his book and he was my first attempt at really being serious about losing weight. I may have blogged about him, but can't really pinpoint where, sorry!

The funny thing about what you just quoted there is that the attitude he expressed is eerily similar to that of "The Secret" which I have blogged about as well. I'm not sure if you have read that book - it's a little off the top - but one of the things it says is that you have to stop thinking things like "I am going to lose weight" or "having to" lose weight, because it only brings on more thoughts of "having to" and not actually doing it. A bit of a different angle than Dr. Phil, but they both agree on the idea of stop saying to yourself that you "have to."

Anonymous said...

That book has been my bible over the past 1.5 years. I have written about it all over my blog. The book was really instrumental in my weight loss. Never have I ever felt so in control of my weight and my destiny with my weight. It was SO NICE to feel calm about weight loss for once instead of feeling like "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO LOSE THIS WEIGHT RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE".

I have read the book 4 times over and have written notes and highlighted important portions of the book. It's really been key to my continued sucess.