I call this lasagna despite the fact that I didn't use lasagna noodles... I used ingredients that I've always used in my lasagna, only I made them a little healthier. So, despite the noodle change, it still tastes like lasagna to me!
8 servings/7 points
2 1/2 c. whole wheat penne pasta (I use Healthy Harvest)
2 c. 2% italian blend cheese (I use Kraft)
1 container (24 oz) FF cottage cheese
1 jar 3-cheese tomato sauce (Prego)
1 pound lean ground beef
2 tbsp grated parmesan
1. I put my water for the pasta on to boil while I brown my ground beef. When the water boils, I cook the penne according to package directions. When ground beef is browned all the way, I add the pasta sauce to the skillet. I like to add about 1/4 c. water to the almost empty jar to get all the sauce out.
2. In a medium bowl, I mix the cottage cheese, shredded cheese, and oregano (I just eyeball the oregano... you could use parsley or some other spice if you wanted).
3. Once everything is combined/cooked, I begin the layering process! I start by using cooking spray on a glass baking dish. Then I start by putting 1/3 of my pasta sauce mixture on the bottom of the pan, spread out.
4. Next, put half of your pasta over the sauce layer. Follow with half of the cheese mixture, then half of the remaining sauce mixture. Repeat this process one time with the rest of your ingredients, ending with pasta sauce.
5. I like to top the sauce with a couple tbsp of parmesan, then cover with tin foil and cook in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Then take the foil off & cook for 10 more minutes. I like to let it set up for about 5-10 minutes, makes it easier to serve.
You get a really large serving for 7 points, and it's oh-so-tasty!